July 17, 2010

Kitchen Skin Care Basics

From time to time I pick up shifts at a day spa specializing in skin care that I used to work at a few years ago. Over the time I worked there I learned a lot about the things that make skin look pretty.. oh and the things that make it not so pretty (late nights, partying, stress, diet lacking in fruits and vegetables, etc). They have expensive creams with all organic ingredients and high tech products with all kinds of acids and micro-this and that. Totally unaffordable items that an employee discount doesnt even put a dent in.

At the same time, I am a follower of Rosemary Gladstar wisdom. She makes skin and hair care products solely out of items found in her kitchen, old world style. I guess it depends on your kitchen, but I have made some interesting skin care tools from the items in my fridge and cupboards that make my skin feel better than anything.

Some of my favorites:
Honey masque (the old crystallized honey left in the jar works really well too)
-rub honey on skin
-leave on for about 5-10 minutes
-gently wash off with washcloth, massaging skin as you go
Honey will hydrate, smooth, soften, and stimulate your skin giving you a soft, glowy look! Trust me, a once a week honey mask will do wonders.

Yogurt masque
-Spread a Tablespoon or so on your face.
-leave on for a few minutes or 10 minutes...or more!
-wash off gently with a washcloth
The probiotics in yogurt does great things for the gut. For your face, it will help "undigested" oils move through to heal your skin and make it feel really soft. Yogurt contains lactic acid which helps the body produce new skin cells, in other words it moves out the old to bring in the new!

Brown sugar exfoliating scrub
-dry brown sugar mixed with a little water makes a great exfoliation for the skin
-First wash face with a cleanser
-Mix about a tablespoon or so (depending on how big your face is...)
-Rub onto still damp skin...this feels really good!
-Wash off after you have given your face a good rub down.
-Continue with skin care ritual (i.e. masque or moisturizer)
Skin needs to be exfoliated regularly to keep it looking healthy and to make way for new skin cells especially if you have oily, "problematic", acne prone skin...

Toner
-Essential oils and water make great toner (lime, lemon, or orange work great for oily skin)
-Drop 10 drops of Essential oil into a spray bottle
-Fill up with water...spray liberally after cleansing, before moisturizing or really anytime of the day you need to freshen up.
-Rosewater is great for dryer complexions.

I have yet to make my own cleanser. If anyone has a good recipe for that, let me know!

I'm a big believer in regular facials. I used to think they were decadent and frivolous, until I got one and now they have become essential to self care for me. At home skin care is important to do as well, but sometimes there is only so much you can do without a professional stepping in every now and then to take care of serious skin matters. Acne is like an infected clogged pore- gross, I know. And if you get acne over and over in the same place, then its just going to keep coming back until those top layers of skin are exfoliated off...Im speaking from experience here :)

If natural beauty products interest you, I highly recommend Rosemary Gladstar's Herbs for Natural Beauty. There's loads of easy recipes along with tons of useful information that I promise will make you into a Rosemary follower!

P.S. I have yogurt on my face right now!

3 comments:

  1. This whole 'at home' skin care was originally my journey. Johanna was completely awe struck regarding my skin, of course myself being part of the male gender and knowing natural skin care techniques, probably gave me a lot of brownie points. Oh! I've learned not to share with my male colleagues about my skin care interests. It seems that at least the men I know are still neanderthals, grunts and have giant porous skin that are equal to craters on the moon. Thank God for Johanna's better sense and her natural healthy beauty, but Rosemary's skin care truly was mine first!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was meant to be a comment by Jason...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that comment Jason. I really should have given you initial credit for taking me with you on the glorious journey of at home skin care. God only knows where I would be without you!

    ReplyDelete